Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Right Bible

Ok, so I received a comment asking why, since I am a Catholic, do I quote the NIV bible version instead of the NAB when I post articles.  I would like to give my response by first of all stating that I have more then one version of the bible in my home. Sad (?) to say, my NAB bible is so well worn, that the back cover has completely torn off of it as well as quite a few pages so I have to secure it with a rubber band till I get a new one :)   I also do not think that there is anything wrong with reading or quoting some text from the NIV. 
Here is another opinion on it other then my own:

For most the question of whether to use an old or a modern translation is not so pointed, and once a decision has been reached on this question it is possible to select a particular Bible version with relative ease.


We recommend staying away from translations with unconventional renderings, such as the TEV, and suggest using the Revised Standard Version- Catholic Edition. This is a Church-approved version of the RSV that has a few, minor changes in the New Testament. It has been reissued by Ignatius Press under the title The Ignatius Bible (available from Catholic Answers in bothhardcover and paperback formats).



In the end, there may not be a need to select only one translation of the Bible to use. There is no reason why a Catholic cannot collect several versions of the Bible, aware of the strengths and weaknesses of each. It is often possible to get a better sense of what is being said in a passage by comparing several different translations.



So, which Bible is the best? Perhaps the best answer is this: The one you’ll read.



NIHIL OBSTAT: I have concluded that the materials

presented in this work are free of doctrinal or moral errors.

Bernadeane Carr, STL, Censor Librorum, August 10, 2004



IMPRIMATUR: In accord with 1983 CIC 827

permission to publish this work is hereby granted.

+Robert H. Brom, Bishop of San Diego, August 10, 2004

You can read the full article at:

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/bible-translations-guide

No comments:

Insurance 101

I recently took a three week course in Property and Casualty Insurance.  It was a rough 3 weeks crammed with more information then a pers...