Thursday, March 8, 2012

Feeling Grumpy?

I felt it creeping inside of me, very gradually; day by day it grew a little stronger. I had a strong sense of uneasiness not knowing why or where it was coming from. As I searched myself for the source, it seemed to be growing into every encounter, conversation and expression, verbal or otherwise. I have so much to be grateful for and yet everything and everyone I have counted as blessings began to feel like they were part of the problem. I was short on patience and tolerance, and growing strong on grumpiness and criticism. Mumbling to myself was a troubling warning sign. What’s wrong with me? Is it my hormones? Could I possibly have had that many “bad” days in a row?


I listened to a podcast by Joyce Meyer about having an attitude adjustment as I scrolled thru another website looking at spring clothing. Ha! There was my answer. I need to adjust my attitude, and quickly, before this monster of grumpiness engulfs me completely. Gratitude is my only escape. Thank you Lord, for the roof over my head! Thank you Lord for the job I have, that keeps my otherwise idle hands and wandering mind busy. Thank you for the opportunities you provide me with to act with kindness to others and to offer a smile to another sojourner on this earth. Thank you for family and grandchildren! Thank you for co-workers and for making us all unique. You color my world in more ways then I can express! Not just with beautiful flowers and sunny days, but with people who are equally as beautiful as a rainy day. That’s right, even rainy wind-blown days are filled with your glory!

But most of all, thank you for the wake-up call. The reminder of what this uneasy feeling was all about and what it most definitely was not about. It was not about snobby inconsiderate people. It was not about not having my house painted or a new carpet to replace the thread worn one. It was not about ‘other’ people not behaving properly. It was about my attitude. It was about me forgetting to say thank you. So Father, thank you for:

1. All the patience you have with me.

2. How you provide for me every moment of everyday.

3. The riches of family.

4. Food to eat and share.

5. A home, a car, a job.

6. Your gentle corrections.

7. Never letting me go.

8. Forgiveness and forgetfulness… you never hold a grudge against me!

9. Giving your Son to all of mankind.

10. Prayer warriors and helpers in heaven and on earth.



Thank you Lord for helping me find my attitude of gratitude! I will remember to count my blessings every time I feel that uneasy, annoyed feeling nudge at me in the future. I will continue to thank you by sharing this story with others who may be struggling with the same issue and just need a helpful reminder. And Lord? Thank you for using Joyce Meyer to help me see that the problem was not “out there” caused by something or someone else, but was inside of me.



"So then, my beloved, obedient as you have always been, not only when I am present but all the more now when I am absent, work out your salvation with fear and trembling. For God is the one who, for his good purpose, works in you both to desire and to work.Do everything without grumbling or questioning,that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation,* among whom you shine like lights in the world"
 Phillipians2:12-15

No comments:

Insurance 101

I recently took a three week course in Property and Casualty Insurance.  It was a rough 3 weeks crammed with more information then a pers...