Friday, January 25, 2013

Death and Life

I have hit a real dry spell.  The last time I wrote was a short piece about how I felt about my father dying.  Since then, I haven't been able to express myself other then brooding silently, shedding some tears when I think about him and other family members who have passed on.  I think alot about the whole birth and death thing or what some call "the circle of life".  Unfortunately, my mind circles around the words "birth" and "death"  and I come to no peaceful conclusion on either one.  I guess I want death to be a peaceful experience and I have witnessed it to be otherwise.  I think about birth and consider how a baby is comfy and nutured inside the mothers' womb until the time comes for the body to reject it, force it out into this other world.  The baby doesn't remember.  We have no recall of pain or suffering or fear of the unknown.  We grow and grow from thereon, hopefully in a nurturing and loving environment.  We learn to become independent.  We look forward to doing things for ourselves, learning to walk, ride a bike, feed ourselves, dress ourselves and learn as much as we can.
This thing called "death" is a reversal.  It almost seems like we "unlearn" everything we've worked so hard on.  Things that were easy now seem unnatural.  Walking becomes shuffling, hearing becomes dulled, sight becomes blurred, eventually for many, we return to diapers.   There is no graceful way out. 
I try to make sense of it all so that I can accept that death is part of life.  I struggle with it.  I want to feel like an innocent child again who doesn't worry about war, murder, hatred, the economy and other endless "grown-up" thoughts and troubles. . 
 I relate to Ecclesiastes:
Ecclesiastes 1:14 I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

Ecclesiastes 1:17 Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.

Ecclesiastes 4:2 And I declared that the dead, who had already died, are happier than the living, who are still alive.

Ecclesiastes 4:3 But better than both is he who has not yet been, who has not seen the evil that is done under the sun.

This may be part of the grieving process.  I pray for the feeling of "joy" in my soul again and to bid adieu to this hopelessness.  There are sad and grievous things happening every instant on this planet. Men, women and children killing eachother.  Storms ravaging homes and families.  The worst of all of this  is the lack of love for eachother.  There is no meaning to life when there is no love.  Men, women, and children...... teach eachother how to LOVE!  How to express it, how to feel it and how to be it.  We don't need to bond over video games or shooting ranges.  Get back to basics.  Get back to believing in God.  Get back to the Ten Commandments, because the devil is at our door and instead of locking him out, we lock out God and hand out guns.  Life is futility without the belief that God is our all loving, ALL POWERFUL, Creator!  We are not Him, but we are like Him when we love eachother as He has first loved us.  This is what I will try to remind myself of when I feel down.  This is what I will remind everyone I can when they feel down.  There is no excuse for us to allow the tragedies that are happening in our world today.  There cannot be THAT MANY CRAZY PEOPLE!!
 But , there can be too many people who do not know love or the meaning of it, or the origin of it, or how to live it and share it.  If you care about your family or yourself, and all of humanity,  you will work on sharing this one thing that changes sad, angry, lonely, dispairing people into people who see hope through the eyes of love.     God bless us all!

No comments:

Insurance 101

I recently took a three week course in Property and Casualty Insurance.  It was a rough 3 weeks crammed with more information then a pers...